Kaunas district Garliava Jonučiai Gymnasium was established in 2014, after the reorganization of Jonuciai Secondary School of Kaunas District. Gymnasium offers basic, secondary, adult basic and adult secondary education programmes.
The school helps students acquire general, sociocultural, informational literacy as well as virtuous, national and civil maturity, and aspires to educate an independent and responsible person able to develop all lifelong skills.
To enable every student to mature according to one’s needs and abilities so that one can acquire competences essential for further studies, career and meaningful active life in the ever changing society.
• To improve the quality of education
• To create a positive microclimate
Garliava is not an old settlement. At the end of the 18th century the centre of this land was Jonučiai village, 3 km from the present day Garliava. Garliava, which expanded out of one of the streets of the village, was founded near the newly built road Kaunas-Marijampolė-Warsaw at the beginning of the 19th century by Duke Józef Godlewski (Lith. Juozas Godlevskis), a former soldier of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Army, a lawyer, and the later brigadier general of the insurgency army against Russian troops. In 1809 Duke Józef Godlewski built a church here and named the settlement Godlewo after his name. The Lithuanians later started to call it Garliava. After almost a century and a half Garliava expanded a lot. In 1950 it became the centre of Panemunė district (a part of the present day Panemunė eldership of Kaunas Municipality), and in 1955 it was granted the status of town. Garliava Jonučiai Secondary School (then Garliava 2nd Secondary School) was opened on 1 September 1974 as the rapidly expanding number of pupils could not be maintained by one Garliava secondary school. From 1974 to 1990 the head of school was Jonas Akavickas. After the retirement of Jonas Akavickas, for 2 years the school was managed by Vidmantas Vitkauskas (now the head of the neighbouring J. Lukša gymnasium). From 1992 to 1998 under Giedrė Dauguvietytė as the head, a lot of attention was paid to the quality of the teaching process, the improvement of extra-curricular activities, the training and self-expression of a young personality. In addition, the new period formed new traditions such as February 16th – the Independence Declaration Day, March 11th – the Independence Restoration Day, Christmas, Mother’s Day, etc. In 1994 the school was granted the name of Garliava Jonučiai Secondary School (after the former village of Jonučiai). In 1998 Aloyzas Pakolkis, the new headmaster, took over the administration, and left his positon in 2013. In 2014 the school faced reorganisation, after which it was separated into two educational institutions: Garliava Jonučiai Progymnasium and Garliava Jonučiai Gymnasium.
• Teacher’s Day concert and annual sightseeing trips around Lithuania;
• “Advent soiree” each year on Christmas Eve ;
• “Songs for Lithuania” contest;
• “Jonučiai Fame” honour of best achievements of the year;
• Young translators contest.
Address: Vasario 16-osios g. 8, Garliava LT-53216, Kauno raj.
Telephone number: +370-37-551149